3 Cups of Tea


Host: Mary Kennard
Book: 3 Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David O. Relin
Meeting Date: April 24, 2010
Location: Mary's (San Ramon)

Synopsis:
The inspiring account of one man's campaign to build schools in the most dangerous, remote, and anti-American reaches of Asia

In 1993 Greg Mortenson was the exhausted survivor of a failed attempt to ascend K2, an American climbing bum wandering emaciated and lost through Pakistan's Karakoram Himalaya. After he was taken in and nursed back to health by the people of an impoverished Pakistani village, Mortenson promised to return one day and build them a school. From that rash, earnest promise grew one of the most incredible humanitarian campaigns of our time—Greg Mortenson's one-man mission to counteract extremism by building schools, especially for girls, throughout the breeding ground of the Taliban.

Award-winning journalist David Oliver Relin has collaborated on this spellbinding account of Mortenson's incredible accomplishments in a region where Americans are often feared and hated. In pursuit of his goal, Mortenson has survived kidnapping, fatwas issued by enraged mullahs, repeated death threats, and wrenching separations from his wife and children. But his success speaks for itself. At last count, his Central Asia Institute had built fifty-five schools. Three Cups of Tea is at once an unforgettable adventure and the inspiring true story of how one man really is changing the world—one school at a time.

3 out of 11 members voted.
75% gave this book 3 Stars
22% gave this book 2 Stars

7 comments:

Joel and Vanessa said...

Am I the only one struggling getting into this book?

Anonymous said...

I've only read the first few pages, so I can't really comment yet. What are you struggling with?

Anonymous said...

So after taking into consideration: births, anniversaries, moves, birthday's, and homecomings I think it would be best to move the next book club meeting out to April...maybe the 10, 17,or 24. give some feedback on what works best for you.
Good luck to all,
MK

Joel and Vanessa said...

I'm not sure who the Anonymous person is that asked me what part I'm struggling with, but I'm assuming it's Mary. :) The names and places are hard to follow. I have to pay VERY close attention when reading otherwise I get lost. And paying close attention seems to be hard for me to do right now. I'm having a hard time focusing. Maybe because I'm waiting for this baby to come already. I'm going to have to buckle down and really commit myself to reading this book if I want to finish by April.

Joel and Vanessa said...

The 17th or 24th will work best for me. I will be unavailable the 10th.

Melissa said...

I'm free for any of those dates...

Lisa said...

Hey Girls,
I'm sorry I won't be able to make it to book club this weekend. Looking forward to seeing you all next month!
Lisa