The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane


Host: Lisa Noma
Book: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Meeting Date: September 12, 2009
Meeting Time: 10:30 AM
Location: The Noma's (Lodi)

Synopsis:
A spellbinding, beautifully written novel that moves between contemporary times and one of the most fascinating and disturbing periods in American history – the Salem witch trials.

Harvard graduate student Connie Goodwin needs to spend her summer doing research for her doctoral dissertation. But when her mother asks her to handle the sale of Connie’s grandmother’s abandoned home near Salem, she can’t refuse. As she is drawn deeper into the mysteries of the family house, Connie discovers an ancient key within a seventeenth-century Bible. The key contains a yellowing fragment of parchment with a name written upon it: Deliverance Dane. This discovery launches Connie on a quest—to find out who this woman was and to unearth a rare artifact of singular power: a physick book, its pages a secret repository for lost knowledge.

5 out of 11 members voted.
20% gave this book 5 Stars
20% gave this book 4 Stars
60% gave this book 3 Stars

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for posting the new book so fast Mel, you're the bomb!
oxo ~Lisa

Unknown said...

Hello All!

Next meeting will be on Saturday, September 12.

Lisa said...

I am LOVING this book so far,I'm about 3/4 through... great choice Lis!

Joel and Vanessa said...

I'm also enjoying the book. I'm going to try really hard to finish it by next Saturday. I'm having a hard time reading the 1600's text with the broken English, but I'm really enjoying Connie's story.

KrisM said...

I also really enjoyed the book! I finished it two days ago. I have other things to say about it, but I'll save my comments for the meeting. ;) I see that the date is 9/12, what time?

janelle said...

gaahhhhh i haven't had any time to start reading it. from the sound of it i won't be able to finish by next sat. but i'm going to give it my best shot. i'm hoping i don't have to work the day of the meeting, but the way things have been going.....

Unknown said...

We normally meet at 10:30, right? I can never remember. Let's plan on meeting at 10:30. I'm not sure where yet, I'll keep you posted by posting it (LOL) :-)

The Penner's said...

Lisa wanted me to let everyone know that bookclub will be at my mom's house (Janet's) at 10:30am. See everyone there!!