Saving Fish from Drowning


Host: Kris Navarra
Book: Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
Meeting Date: October 26, 2007
Location: Dave Wong's Restaurant - Stockton,CA

Synopsis
Twelve American tourists join an art expedition that begins in the Himalayan foothills of China - dubbed the true Shangri-La - and heads south into the jungles of Burma. But after the mysterious death of their tour leader, the carefully laid plans fall apart, and disharmony breaks out among the pleasure-seekers as they come to discover that the Burma Road is paved with less-than-honorable intentions, questionable food, and tribal curses.

And then, on Christmas morning, eleven of the travelers boat across a misty lake for a sunrise cruise - and disappear.

RATINGS:
6 out of 11 members voted.
16% gave this book 4 stars
33% gave this book 3 stars
16% gave this book 2 stars
33% gave this book 1 star

5 comments:

janet Noma said...

I was watching the world news and there was a story about Myanmar and how the people are rioting against the government. The book is the same setting and is basically about how people are dealing with the undemocratic government. This makes the book much more interesting especially since it is currently in the news!~

Janet

Anonymous said...

Guess What? I've finally started the book. I'm 50 pages in. :) I plan on finishing this weekend. Amy Tan's a little too long winded for my taste, and I'm not that interested in art history, but it's not that bad. Hopefully it will pick up.

Anonymous said...

This book is killing me softly with it's words, killing me softly, with it's words. la la la. I am hoping it puts me out of my misery soon. :)

Darla said...

WoooHoooo, I finally finished the book. It was really long winded as Vanessa said, but interesting none the less. I am still laughing about the "Lajamee" and "Cheese Whiz". :)

Vanessa said...

I will not be disappointed if I never read another Amy Tan book. Boring!!!