Walking in Circles Before Lying Down


Host: Lisa Leggett
Book:Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe
Meeting Date: December 22,2007
Meeting Time: 10:30am
Meeting Location: Lisa's (Lodi)

Synopsis
Twice-divorced Dawn is the product of a fantastically dysfunctional family (Dawn's sister, Halley, is an overly enthusiastic life coach, her mother is a struggling entrepreneur and her former smalltime rockabilly musician father invests "a lot of time into perfecting... authentic fifties outfits"); her dog, Chuck, begins talking to her after dud radio-DJ boyfriend Paxton dumps her. Though other dogs can also suddenly communicate with Dawn (including Johnny Depp, a friend's dog), Chuck remains the leading pooch as he plies his master with sage advice and astute observations—"He seemed humpy," Chuck opines about one suitor; "Who doesn't like puppies? That's psychotic," he muses about Paxton—as she negotiates the standard fare of chick lit (losing her job, getting mixed up with wacky beaus, aiding her friends through their respective crises, finding a place to live). Until, that is, Chuck runs away, forcing Dawn to realize her true love may not be a biped.

RATINGS:
7 out of 11 members voted.
42% gave this book 4 stars
57% gave this book 3 stars

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only have about 20 more pages to read. Although I'm NOT a fan of the cussing, I've really enjoyed this book so far. I actually laughed out loud at a few parts with Johnny Depp. "FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD. You're going to leave us here to starve." Hi-larious!

Vanessa said...

Okay, I just finished the book. It was a relief to read something so light. I'm not sure I could have handled another serious book. Of course this book was predictable, but I still enjoyed it. I compared it to a Mandy Moore or Freddie Prince Jr. movie, pointless, yet entertaining.

Anonymous said...

I haven't started it yet, but I'm excited to read it. Maybe I'll read it out loud to Toby and see what he thinks. :-)

Jenny said...

I finished the book last night! Very easy read and entertaining!! =)

Anonymous said...

I finished last week....loved that it was an easy read. Definitely made me think about what my baby, Charlie thinks about.

I'm ready for the next one.....BRING IT ON! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a little over half way through, I laughed so hard over the weekend I gave myself a headache, funniest line so far...

"...I ran through that nut field sucking up cashews like a goddamn anteater..."

I'm seeing Lola and Butch differently the last few days. Can't wait for the meeting.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I totally forgot about that line. That was funny also. The book a a few really good one liners.

Vanessa said...

Lisa, The dog on the cover sort of looks like butch.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, what is your address?

Anonymous said...

I have Lisa's Address. I'll email it to you.

Anonymous said...

He does look a little like Butch, huh? My dogs will be on hand for the meeting Saturday, we can ask them if the book was accurate ;)