Promise Not to Tell



Host:Janelle Chapdelaine
Book: Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon
Location: Olive Garden, Stockton
Meeting Date: Wednesday, July 1st
Meeting Time: 6:30 PM

Synopsis:
Forty-one-year-old school nurse Kate Cypher has returned home to rural Vermont to care for her mother who's afflicted with Alzheimer's. On the night she arrives, a young girl is murdered—a horrific crime that eerily mirrors another from Kate's childhood. Three decades earlier, her dirt-poor friend Del—shunned and derided by classmates as "Potato Girl"—was brutally slain. Del's killer was never found, while the victim has since achieved immortality in local legends and ghost stories. Now, as this new murder investigation draws Kate irresistibly in, her past and present collide in terrifying, unexpected ways. Because nothing is quite what it seems . . . and the grim specters of her youth are far from forgotten.

RATINGS:
6 out of 11 members voted.
66% gave this book 3 stars
33% gave this book 2 stars

14 comments:

Darla said...

I'm done with the book and ready for our meeting! :) I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

I just finished it this morning. I enjoyed it too. i made the mistake of reading it at night, alone...there were a few moments that i had to stop and look behind me to make sure i was really alone.
can we start throwing out dates for a meeting now?
Janelle

Anonymous said...

I'm finished and liked it as well! I already know that my only availabel Saturday in June is the 20! Let me know when you pick a day
MK

Mel said...

I've finished as well. It got really interesting the last 40 pages or so but I also enjoyed it. I'm available any weekend in June.

Anonymous said...

hmm. well as you all know, june is my birthday month..so it's going to be busy. i'm not really sure when i'll be available. i was thinking about maybe doing another dinner meeting? would that be easier for everyone to do? or would you rather do it on a weekend at my house? it's all up to you guys.
-janelle

Mel said...

A weeknight is fine just let me know. Janelle, why don't you throw a couple dates out there?

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the previews for My Sister's Keeper" ? It looks good, but even the preview made me teary eyed, to I know I'll be a mess during the movie? I thought maybe we could try to all go see it together!? If so I want to set next to Mel because I know she'll cry harder than I will! WHEN is our meeting?
mk

Anonymous said...

Lisa See is going to be speaking and signing books at the Town Book Center in Pleasanton (the book store where the Girls Bood Club was born) on June 10th @11:00 am. I'll be there to get my Sunflower and the Secret Fan signed, and wanted to let everyone know about it in case you're interested :)
MK

KrisM said...

I finished the book, finally I finished a book club book!! I think I will be able to read all the books and attend all the meeting this summer! yay! I liked the book, good pick Janelle!

Anonymous said...

thanks kris, i'm glad you enjoyed it. ok guys they haven't posted my work schedule yet so i still don't know if i can do the 19th or the
20th. how about Wed July 1st in the evening, we can do dinner?
Janelle

Mel said...

Wed, July 1st is good for me. I don't get off work until 5:00 though...

Janelle said...

how's july 1st at say 6:30 for dinner? they just opened an olive garden in stockton...

Mel said...

So Janelle, are we just sticking with the 1st? Olive Garden sounds good, although I do always enjoy Dave Wongs and the privacy we get with one of the back tables. I'm up for anything. Just let me know.

Janelle said...

hey guys, i'm going to go ahead and set the date for wed july 1st at 6:30 at olive garden in stockton. mary, i know you can't do week days, i'm really sorry. i have to work every other day...
hope that's ok with everyone